Moanaghan Man

Moanaghan Man

Sunday 30 July 2017

Maybe Next Time

In this post, I’m including a piece I wrote for my local Gaelic football team in Monaghan, Ireland – Toome GFC. It’s from 2013, has been slightly edited, and is on the theme of disappointment. I hope it doesn’t disappoint you. The article follows below.

    I can still picture the football player as he made his way home from the Pearce Park dressing room over thirty years ago. Although I had just arrived at the sports ground, I knew his team had been defeated in the first match that afternoon – such was the unmistakable look of disappointment on his face. A consoling voice came from the crowd:

     “Maybe next time.”

     The player hardly took any notice and walked on with his head bowed. That man followed in the footsteps of many defeated players, and in turn, more would follow him. The journey from the losing dressing room to the car park will remain some of the most difficult steps a player can take in football – unless they start playing matches on ice rinks.

     I’ll write about one of my own sporting let-downs; it’s quite a big one: 

    In 2012, I thought I had a chance of winning one of the categories on BBC Sports Personality of the Year. I’m serious; there was a rumour going around that the London Olympic volunteers (of which I was one) could win the team prize. Yes, I thought I was a contender, along with the likes of Andy Murray, noted for his skill with a racket and ball over the course of a tennis match, and Rory McIlroy who's noted for his skill with a driver and putter over a golf course. By the way, I’m noted for my skill with a knife and fork over a five-course meal. Speaking of courses…

     Of course, I didn’t win. In case you’re interested, the team award went to the British Olympic squad. For my part, I’ve learned to be more realistic regarding awards. Or maybe not: Sometimes I dream these blogs will win something. I’m not fussy – the Nobel Prize in Literature will do. Mind you, I don’t think I’ll be the Nobel laureate this year. Maybe next time.

© John E. McBride (2017)

Before I finish, I would be grateful for a Share and Follow. Thank you.


2 comments:

  1. Maybe next time huh? As long as you don't give up and you go prepare for the next time. I enjoyed this post. Good one!

    ReplyDelete