Moanaghan Man

Moanaghan Man

Sunday 25 June 2017

Enterprise Is Good For Your Heart

First of all, I will apologise for yet again mentioning Star Trek in a post. I make no apologies for the subject matter, however. If you read only one of my pieces, make sure it is this. Actually, if you only read one of my pieces, I'll be quite upset.

     In my opinion, living like Mr Spock can benefit your heart. You might think that Vulcans and health go together like Romulans and hippies, but since my heart attack in 2014, I’ve concluded that our tickers would be in better shape if we were more like the character made famous by Leonard Nimoy on Star Trek. (Pointy ears optional).

     Take my own case. In the lead-up to my heart attack, I was getting occasional pains in both arms. My body was warning me like a flashing red alert on the Starship Enterprise. Foolishly, I chose to believe my pains were caused by the cold weather. I have since discovered my hesitation in seeking proper medical opinion was not unique. In fact, I’ve been amazed at the number of fellow heart patients who also ignored their symptoms and/or self-diagnosed. We lacked Mr Spock’s logic. He would have visited Dr McCoy straight away. Although there are less concerning reasons for pain(s) in your upper body, it is always wise to seek proper medical advice at warp speed. 

     Vulcans have little or no blood pressure, yet Mr Spock could give humans a lesson on blood pressure management. He remained composed in stressful situations, calmly handling big events such as a Klingon attack to relatively small strains like choosing ear muffs. You may not be blessed with Spock’s mentality, but you can relax more. Make lists in order to prioritise your daily/weekly/monthly tasks. Learn to handle both ‘big’ and ‘small’ stresses. Have regular blood pressure checkups. Reduce your salt intake. 

     Like Star Trek episodes, cholesterol can be good or bad. We can assume Mr Spock maintained high levels of ‘good’ cholesterol in his blood because that was the logical thing to do. Monitor your cholesterol and eat healthily to reduce the ‘bad’ type (which can damage your blood vessels). And keep an eye on your blood sugar levels too.

     A transporter room in your home that could beam you to and from work or the shops might seem convenient but your heart wouldn’t thank you. Parking your car slightly further away from your workplace or supermarket (or getting off the bus a stop early) makes it easier to incorporate extra exercise into your daily routine. Better still, if you can, walk/cycle all the way. (Allow extra time if your office is on Mars). Mr Spock stayed in shape and had a healthy body mass index (BMI). Follow his lead and watch your waistline. 

    One final, important point – the Prime Directive for a healthy heart is No Smoking.

    The following mnemonic may help ensure your heart lives long and prospers:

M –Medical attention. Seek it urgently if you experience any unusual symptoms.
R – Relax. Practice deep breathing, for example.
S – Sugar levels in your blood should be monitored. 
P – Pressure. As in blood pressure. Check it regularly. Cut down on salt.
O – Organise your life. Prioritising tasks puts less stress on you.
C – Cholesterol.  Watch your diet.
K – Keep fit and hydrated. Maintain a healthy weight. No smoking. 

© John E. McBride  

Before I go, I'd appreciate a comment and would really appreciate a follow. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment