Moanaghan Man

Moanaghan Man

Sunday 20 August 2017

Reality TV Check

I wonder if reality shows on television have reached their peak in popularity. Viewers must have realised by now that these shows are not giving them a glimpse into lives more exciting than their own. The fact is, reality shows are even duller than a stamp collecting, trainspotting accountant. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an actual reality show about stamp collecting, trainspotting accountants. If there is, it would have to be called Jersey Bore

     Reality television is the gift that keeps on giving (annoyance); the participants on real-life shows can go on to become ‘celebrities’ themselves. And get involved with celebrity programmes. As a result, celebrity versions of reality shows are often disappointing – mainly because no one has remembered to invite a proper celebrity. For instance, this year’s Dancing with the Stars in Ireland should have been called Dancing with the Asteroids

     In the interest of science, (and to make this piece a little longer) I am going to imagine that I’m a reality ‘star’ with my own show on television. It needs a title; John’s Not Keeping Up will do. In every episode, I’d get on a bus, do my work, and then come home on a bus. And that’s about as exciting as it would get. To prove the point, not one remarkable work-related event happened to me last week. To be fair, the fact that I was on holiday had something to do with that.

     So I don’t think I’ll be asked to do reality TV anytime soon. But that doesn’t mean other Irish people could give it a go. Forget The Real Housewives of Beverley Hills; I want to see The Real Housewives of Ballybunion

      Perhaps these shows will become even more popular. But for me, they can be summed up like this: It’s not so much Big Brother is watching me – it’s I’m not watching Big Brother. Well, I might watch it sometimes. That’s the reality of reality television. 

© John E. McBride (2017)

A follow and share would be much appreciated. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment