Moanaghan Man

Moanaghan Man

Monday 18 September 2017

It's a Rap

To prove that some things never change, I’m posting a piece (which has been slightly edited) from 2013 concerning the Republic of Ireland football team and its tenuous connection to rap music. As you will see, most of it could have been written today. However, we live in hope.

     I am reliably informed that there is a rap music artist called Plan B. I don’t know why he chose the moniker ‘Plan B’ – perhaps his preferred choice of career was accountancy – but I do like his name, or rather, the logic that label represents.

     Before I go on, don’t reach for the earplugs; this piece isn’t about rap music. It’s something worse – a certain international football team who play in green. Lately, the Republic of Ireland has been playing a style of football that is monotonous, predictable and boring – the visual equivalent of rap. 

     Giovanni Trapattoni has done a lot of good work, and I sincerely wish him a happy retirement. However, I hope his successor will let the team play in a way that won’t endanger low-flying aircraft over Dublin 4. Let’s keep the high ball to good old Gaelic football.

     Another criticism levelled at Ireland was that they didn’t have a Plan B (did they even have a Plan A?) in their recent World Cup qualifiers. This brings me back to my starting point: I think it’s important that every person, business, and team has an alternative plan ready in case the original one goes wrong.

    So, Ireland, take my advice and employ Plan B next time things are going badly on the pitch. I sure that when he starts singing his rap music, the opposition will forget about the match and let us win.

Before I wrap this up, I’d like to ask you to please share and follow. Follow me, that is, not the Irish team. But you can do that too if you like.

© John E. McBride (2017)


No comments:

Post a Comment